Wednesday, August 22, 2007

End of Year Update--August 2007

Hello everyone!
Well, another school year has ended at the CEE school in Siguatepeque, Honduras. There have been a few changes at the school this year. Mr. David, our English Director, has retired from his position. Though I'm sure his services will be missed, he is keeping busy and active as ever with many projects and activities in the community. Also, the school has hired a new all-school director. Her name is Silvia and she is a bilingual Honduran. She is very friendly and easy to talk to. It is nice to have someone who is bilingual to oversee the entire school.
I am really glad that I returned to teach for a second year. I have had an even better year than last year! This year, I was much better prepared...I understood the language and culture more and how the school operates. I also was able to improve on some things and do things that I didn't have time for last year. In addition, I was able to strengthen some relationships I had built and make new ones! Overall, this year has helped me to "tie up loose ends" and to bring closure to my experience here.
If you haven't heard already, this will be my last year teaching at the CEE school. I have been offered a teaching position in North Carolina! It is in Chatham County and the school is called Siler City Elementary School. I will be a kindergarten bilingual teacher in an immersion program. 70% of the students there are Latino and they put 50% of native English speakers in the class and 50% native Spanish speakers in the class. I will teach in both languages. The goal is that by the time the students are finished with 5th grade, they will be bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural!
I am really excited about this new teaching position and God has provided in so many amazing ways to make it happen! Thank you to all my family and friends for your prayers, encouragement, and support. I would also like to thank my church in Michigan, Lake Center Bible Church, for their prayers, guidance, and financial support. I often talk about my "home church" in Michigan wherever I am!
Well, I definitely will miss many people in Siguat. I have already shed some tears while saying some goodbyes. But, I want to keep in touch and hopefully I will return during the summers to visit and to help out in some way. If any of my friends who are still in Honduras ever need anything, please contact me! I will be glad to help! And, you are all welcome to come visit me in North Carolina! Many blessings to all!
In Christ,
Corinna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home